Monday, June 20, 2011

Strawberries!




Today my mom decided it was time to go strawberry picking so we packed up our van with the six of us, containers for strawberries, and a bag of crackers for on the way home.
We drove until we came to a sign that read "Grandpa's U-Pick Strawberries" After weighing our containers we went out to pick our strawberries. Now, just before we went I told my mom that all I remembered about picking strawberries was that it was hot and back-breaking because you have to hunch over the tiny strawberry plants that are about two inches tall. Personally, I thought I spent more time hunched over, making sure my pants don't fall down than actually picking the strawberries. Anyway, we went up and down the rows filling our tupperwares with strawberries. Emily and Ashley's attention span lasted for at least five minutes and then they busied themselves walking up and down the rows eating strawberries. Finally we finished picking 16 pounds of juicy strawberries. We brought them home, ate some lunch and then began cutting each and every strawberry. As you can see we finally finished with this...
...and this too, which didn't make it into the first picture


And then we ended up with several pints of jam.


We have also frozen three quarts. So now we're taking a quick break before we plunge back into it!
Oh, and did I mention that on Thursday we're getting another 30 pounds? Just thought I'd mention it.





No comments:

Post a Comment