Friday, March 5, 2010

What happens when you leave, mom!

My parents occasionally go out and leave me in charge of making dinner and putting the girls to bed. It can get pretty hectic....The other night was no exception.

We were having leftover soup, so the cooking wasn't a big deal but that doesn't mean everybody wanted to eat what there was.

So my parents leave and I start getting the soup out of the fridge and bowls down from the cupboard. Cade walks in, "Do we have to have soup?" I might mention that one of the soups is beef vegetable and the other is tortellini. He likes tortellini but he just had it the other day and beef vegetable is definitely not his favorite!

"Yes, you need to have soup."
"Why?"
"Because mom said so."
"She did not!"
"Yes, she did!"
"Well, can't I just have cereal?"
"No, you can have tortellini or beef. If you have beef you can pick out the carrots."
"But I want cereal."
"NO."

On that happy note I poured soup for each of us. We all sat down at the table....

Kailyn-"Emily and Ashley are going to watch our movie with us."
Cade-"NO, I do not want them with us, they are really naughty."
Kailyn-But we won't...(to Emily) you want water? What do you say? Okay." I get up to refill her cup. "Anyway, we won't be able to....Watch out Claire, she's spilling her water!"
Claire"You didn't put the lid on tight enough."
Kailyn-"I didn't put the lid on, you did! Like I was saying, if we don't watch
Cade-"Oooo, cool, she has a little pool of water in her bib!"
Kailyn-"Like I was trying to say, IF WE DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE WITH THEM WE WON'T BE ABLE TO FINISH IT!"

Why do I get the feeling that nobody cares about what I have to say?
By this time Emily has decided that soup is more fun to chop up in tiny bits then to eat. I give her the firm command to , 'no play, you need to eat.'

We finish our meal and start on our ice cream, all except Emily, who has still not finished her soup. (I have already told her that she will get no ice cream because she was a slow eater.) Just then, she holds up her empty bowl. 'Ice Cream, please?' Who could resist that smiling face? I start dishing up ice cream for her....

Cade-"Why are you giving her ice cream?"
Kailyn-"Because she finished her food."
Cade-"But you told her she wasn't gonna get any ice cream."
Kailyn-"I know, but she did finish her soup. I thought maybe she deserved it."
Claire-"You never stick to your punishments for her."
Kailyn-She's fine."
Claire-"You're too soft-hearted!"

Well, we clean up the kitchen and head downstairs to watch our movie. We watch with Emily and Ashley for a little bit, but then put them in my room to play "trains." For about ten minutes all we hear are the cheerful giggles of toddlers, but then....
"Waaaaaaa!" We rush in the room to find Ashley sobbing, pointing at her older sister, the picture of innocence. Come to find out, Emily bit Ashley. This is not the first time either. So Emily gets to go to bed, Ashley gets to be rocked, and my parents get an earful when they return from their date.

1 comment:

  1. You're a great writer Kailyn! I've really enjoyed reading your stories. They make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete